Visit Millau in Aveyron
Surrounded by old stone villages such as La Couvertoirade and an impressive nature with the Natural Park of the Grands Causses, Millau is a city appreciated by sportsmen and gourmets. It's a town that has a lot to offer, do some tourism Millau during your camping vacations near Millauc with heated swimming pool in the South of Aveyron, in Midi-Pyrénées.
Top 5 activities in Millau
The activities to do when you go to Millau tourism, the Mecca of tourism in Aveyron, and in the Regional Natural Park of the Grands Causses in the Gorges du Tarn are many and varied, especially in the field of outdoor sports, especially on the banks of rivers in the region (hiking, mountain biking, via-ferrata, paragliding, canoeing, kayaking, speleology). We present here our top 5 of the activities to do in Millau.
- Stroll in the historical center of Millau : You will have a good time in the center of Millau. Stroll through the medieval alleys, do your market at Les Halles, have a coffee at Place Floche. Do not miss the belfry and its 360° view of the city and its surroundings.
- To become unbeatable on the viaduct of Millau: The viaduct of Millau is a superb bridge with world fame passing over the Tarn. You can visit the dedicated exhibition and observe the bridge from different points of view. More information in our article about the visit of the Millau viaduct.
- Walking in the middle of the rocks at the Cité de Pierres : Located in Montpellier-le-Vieux, 30 minutes from Millau, the Cité de Pierres is a natural park covered with rocks of different shapes and sizes. Numerous walks allow you to explore this unique place and pass through breathtaking viewpoints. It is a real natural labyrinth that gives the impression of being on another planet!
- Taste the aligot: Gourmet mixture of mashed potatoes, tome, cream, butter and garlic, the aligot is the culinary specialty of Aubrac to try absolutely. If you still have room for a dessert, try the spit cake, another local specialty.
- Visit the Museum of Millau and the Grands Causses: This beautiful museum presents archaeological collections dating from prehistory to the Middle Ages, as well as paintings and gloves. Part of the museum is dedicated to the Aveyron singer Emma Calvé. You will be able to take part in the many activities organized by the museum.
Ville de Millau : visite guidée
Before entering the city, start your day with the viaduct of Millau. Then stroll through the historical center of the city passing by the tourist office. Conquer the Belfry just opposite to enjoy a panoramic view at 42 meters high. Cross the Halles de type Baltard and continue eastwards towards the pretty Place Maréchal Foch.
The inside of the church of Notre-Dame-de-l'Espinasse is particularly beautiful. If you appreciate archaeology and history, then visit the Museum of Millau and the Grands Causses. You will find many restaurants offering aligot, not to be missed!
After lunch, take a walk to the Maison du Peuple and then get lost in the old streets of Millau on your way back west: rue Etroite, rue Droite, rue Peyssière... They tell the story of the Millau of yesteryear and plunge the visitor into the Middle Ages. Take advantage of the late afternoon to go for a walk in the Parc Naturel des Grands Causses or any other activity that will make you appreciate the surrounding nature.
You can also visit the archeological site of La Gaufesenque 2 kilometers from the city center, the historical center of Villefranche de Rouergue or the beautiful cities of Rodez and Roquefort. Finish your day on the Lerouge bridge for an unforgettable sunset overlooking the Millau viaduct.
- Visit millau
- What to do in millau
- Millau tourism